It is imperative to collect stats where web visitors come from, where they go, and how long they stay. By analyzing the data, we can see what is working and what isn’t.
Often small businesses use the Spray and Pray Are you just putting stuff out there for your marketing and hoping that people will find you and become a customer? This spray and pray approach to marketing has been failing companies forever, and it’s because you are essentially leaving it up to luck for strangers to become customers.If you want to influence people in your target market to become your customer, you must dictate what that process looks like and the steps they should be taking. Create content for your website, social media channels, and email messages that help guide someone from their before state to their transformational after state of being a customer.
approach. Spraying your marketing message out to anyone and everyone and hoping that the right someone will immediately come knocking at your door just doesn’t cut it.
Our approach to digital marketing ensures the right mix of Content Marketing, Search Engine Optimization, Social Media, and Online Advertising can be tailored for each individual client depending on where the data points them.
While small businesses and nonprofits recognize the need to promote their message online to grow their audience, they are often at the size/budget where they lack the expertise of an in-house digital marketer. We can help fill that gap by providing digital marketing services at the fraction of the cost of a full-time employee.
Some things to consider:
- Know exactly what you are trying to accomplish with your marketing- set goals and know the desired result.
- Determine who is your ideal client?
- Research- do they need what I have to offer?
- Do they have the money to spend on my product or service?
- What problem does my product/service solve for the client?
- Develop a message that speaks to the clients need.
- Implement several marketing channels to hit your target market,
- Analyze the data to determine success.
Often we get clients calling wanting a website but have no plans to blog or use social media, videos etc. Part of our job is to educate customers on the fact that just the website alone is not enough. Each business should have a clear content creation plan to complement their inbound marketing strategy. Gone are the days of build a website and leave it. With millions of websites online, we must stay competitive on the content/ information driven internet.
We work with clients to help them understand the strategy of inbound marketing and how the website works in conjunction with blogging, social media, video, newsletters, lead magnets, e-commerce etc.
Your website should be the HUB that ties all your marketing efforts together. Conversions happen on your website; whether the visitor picks up the phone, buys something or signs up for an offer. The website is the hub of all your business information.
The concept is to lead the viewer back to the website at any opportunity so that they have the opportunity to see the products and services you have. Here are some examples of some marketing strategies and how they work with your website.
Example: You see a beautiful blouse your friend shared on Instagram, you think, I want that blouse, so you click the link in the post and land on the website that sells the blouses. You can then investigate what else they have and buy the blouse.
Another example; your child is acting out at school, you Google “child acting out at highschool” the search results indicate a local phychologist written blog article that discusses parental strategies, you read the article and are impressed with the tips so you look on the website further and find you can go for family counselling. This same example holds true with videos as well, as long a detailed description is used with the video.
We often hear from clients that they tried to create a website themselves which is great for startups and companies on a strict budget. Here are some mistakes people often make when trying to create their own website in WordPress. These are just some of the standard best practices that are used when you purchase a professional website.
1. Not Changing Default Username For Admin– Admin used to be the standard username with each new WordPress install, this is a huge security compromise. Usernames and passwords must be complex.
2. Forgetting Optimization For Images – you must add descriptive alt text for each image
3. Mistaking A Self-Hosted WordPress With a Free One – A self hosted WordPress website will use the platform available at wordpress.org.
4. Forgetting to Create Backups – this is essential to set up automated backups- be familiar with back up retrieval
5. Not Being Careful When Downloading Free WordPress Themes – You must use a reputable, supported theme provider with proper coding. Check for ratings and support history. Make sure coding is current ie. don’t use a theme coded with PHP 5.2 or 5.3 which is deprecated. Choosing a pretty theme is not the way to decide to use it.
6. Not Installing a Plugin For Caching – Caching will help speed up the site for the viewer
7. Avoiding Comment Moderation– moderation allows you approve the comments that are posted on your website, without it you will find loads of spam posts and junk links.
8. Leaving Out a Contact Form – A contact form ensures the email gets to you from any device. Check functionality on a monthly basis with a test message.
9. Not Paying Attention to Security – Security is important for the longevity of the site. Enable: Brute Force Protection, Strong Password Enforcement, 404 Detectionm Malware scanning and more
10. Ignoring Updates From WordPress – Regular maintenance is essential to keep the functionality of your website. Like a car, you need to change the oil. Same with your website, you need to do the updates so your website will last.
Lots of clients ask how to resize a photo without buying a fancy graphics program.
Here is a quick tutorial on a program called Paint. This can be found in most computers under All Programs> Accessories> Paint